Monday, September 12, 2016

You Have GOT To Be Kidding Me!



There are times that you just have to shake your head in wonder. I have found in parenting (and working at a school) you tend to do that multiple times a day. Sometimes it might be a little shake, other times you feel like you head might snap off in disgust...or surprise....or joy.  Well, today it happened. Any working parent will be able to relate with the following scenario....

I'm a paraprofessional at the Middle School here in town. We had a LONG summer. A new high school was being constructed, and a lot of construction was also being done on the three other school buildings. All in all, our summer was almost 4 months long. Yes, 4 MONTHS LONG. That alone can make a person say, "Are you kidding me?" A long summer can be a great thing, but to a mom it can be rough. After two months your children are sick of all the trips to the park and the pool and all the other "fun" and "creative" ideas you tried to dream up. They start to turn on you (but it isn't my fault!) and each other.

Needless to say, there was much rejoicing when our first day of school rolled around. My girls don't go to the school I work at, so they started last week. Today was my glorious first day of school. My first day at work in 4 months. For 4 months I never had to fear them getting sick and me having to call in and request time off because I had 4 incredible months off of work! With that being said, I picked out an outfit to wear (yes, I'm 40), had my new lunchbox packed and I was ready to face the first day with a smile on my face.

It almost was not meant to be. In the past she is the one we have to drag out of bed, and she often struggles with a morning routine. We started the morning OK with my husband doing an excellent job of covering up the fact that the Tooth Fairy forgot (again) to come visit last night. But then she started complaining about a headache, and she does tend to get them. It quickly spiraled into not wanting to eat, being SO tired, etc. We were trying our best to get her ready and out the door, but it was not meant to be. Seven minutes before I was scheduled to leave for my first day of work she threw up multiple times in the living room. Instantly I knew that headache was one of her migraines that intensified to the stage of making her vomit.

But, I couldn't help thinking (and quite possibly stating out loud to my husband), "Seriously!?!? SERIOUSLY!?!? This is my first day back to work in 4 months and it is the first time our children have gotten sick in 4 months" Unreal.

It all worked out just fine. Jesse was able to stay home with her, but it just left me shaking my head once again. Call it cheesy but I would like to quote The Shirelles by saying, "Momma said there'll be days like this...."

In the end, this head shaking business worked out just fine just like it usually does. Hopefully, though, Day 2 will not be quite as eventful. I do work at a middle school, though, so anything is possible.  :)

Simply put....tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I wasn't relating to your daughter as much as I am right now. I had a very similar problem tonight. :P Life can have strange timing. I hope she is feeling better soon, and work and school go a little smoother.

    ReplyDelete