Monday, August 29, 2016

Start Somewhere

Low-Carb Diet...Weight Watchers...It Works...Jenny Craig...Nutrisystem...Grapefuit Diet...Isagenix...Detox Diets...Advocare...Flat Stomach Diet...Beachbody...Vegetarian..Plexus...Level...Beverly Hills Diet...Fit for Life Diet...

Is your head swimming? If I was someone embarking on a journey to better health I would look at all the options out there and probably give up before I ever started. I just went on Google and put in "weight loss options" and it shot out 28,400,000 choices. That, I believe, is the beauty and the curse of the internet. There is a flood of information at your fingertips, but an individual can easily become overwhelmed.

So, what is a person to do? Once again I'm no professional, but I honestly think that you have to do what works for YOU. Not what works for your friend, your favorite celebrity, or that cool fitness mom you are following on Instagram. Even with that being said, where does one start?

I consider myself lucky because I fell into the solution of what works for me before I even realized I needed a solution. Up until 3 years ago I considered myself to be a fairly healthy person. I had a fairly nutritious diet and I exercised multiple times a week. I knew I had about 10 pounds to go to get back to my pre-baby weight, but what I didn't realize, though, is how good I could actually feel. The only reason I realized that It Works! would be the solution for me was because a friend shared it with me. Just a few weeks in I knew this was the solution for me.

But what will work for you? I think a large part of figuring out where to start is analyzing not only the obstacles you have in reaching your health goals, but also your strengths and what will help you succeed. For instance, in a previous blog titled What's Your Obstacle? I listed my personal obstacles, and one of them was food in general. I LOVE food so I know I would never be able to do a diet that completely eliminated a food group or meals in general. Drinking shakes for every meal would not work for me. Balance is a word that often comes to mind when I think about my approach to nutrition.

By stumbling on a product called Greens I was able to combat several obstacles in one. Allow me to explain. Because it is packed with 34 fruits and veggies and 52 super foods in one serving, my body was finally getting what it needed. I was never able to afford all that nutrition on a budget before this. Now my body was alkalized and ph-balanced, so it cut my cravings (obstacle #1), increased my energy (obstacle #2) and decreased the severity of my headaches. The best part is it costs me only around $1.50 a day (obstacle #5). Does it replace a healthy diet and exercise? NO WAY!! It just greatly enhances my health journey. That is why this works for me.

Now in reference to strengths, while I LOVE food, I'm pretty good with portion control. I know that if I eat a lot I feel gross and lethargic. I didn't really need a plan to focus on portion control. Did I need something to cut the cravings of the food I did like? Yes, most definitely. Another strength is that I really enjoy exercising, and I know how it benefits me both physically and mentally. No one has to encourage me to get out there and do something.

In my unprofessional opinion you finally just need to start somewhere. I realize you are probably thinking that it is easy for me to say this because I sort of "fell" into what worked for me. Yet, with all things in life, you need to take that first step. I already mentioned taking note of your strengths and weaknesses, but think about WHY you want to change. Are you looking to lose weight? Gain energy? Need help bulking up? Looking for endurance help to run a long race? Do you just want to have a better quality of life? Everyone's goals differ, so in the same way not every plan will work for everyone.

Just start. Find your WHY. Write out your goals. Analyze your obstacles. Emphasize your strengths. Find a support system. Then just take your first step. You can do this.

Simply put...just start somewhere.


They are a big part of why my health is important to me. I want to have the energy and mental stamina to be there for them day in and day out. And, God-willing, someday be around to play with my grandchildren and take them on a bunch of fun adventures. :)












1 comment:

  1. Fabulous post Sarah... every word. You are right you know...just simply start..somewhere.

    ReplyDelete